Health & Safety
All students and staff will be screened each day for COVID-19 symptoms. Individuals with symptoms will be isolated and sent home.
- A health screening will be required each school day for all staff and students following TEA Guidelines. Staff will utilize a Google Form for daily screening documentation.
- Parents will be asked to administer the COVID-19 screening prior to sending their child/children to school, take their temperature and keep them home if ill.
- All staff are asked to screen themselves prior to coming to work each day and to stay home if they have symptoms or temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees
Symptoms of COVID-19 for Students and Staff to be screened are:
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees
- Loss of taste or smell
- Difficulty breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Shaking or exaggerated shiverin
- Significant pain or ache
Individuals Confirmed or Suspected with COVID-19
- Any individual who themselves either: (a) are lab-confirmed to have COVID19; or (b) experience the symptoms of COVID-19 (listed below) must stay at home throughout the infection period, and cannot return to campus until the school system screens the individual to determine any of the below conditions for campus re-entry have been met:
- In the case of an individual who was diagnosed with COVID-19, the individual may return to school when all three of the following criteria are met:
- At least one day (24 hours) has passed since recovery (resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications);
- The individual has improvement in symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and
- At least ten days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
- In the case of an individual who has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and who is not evaluated by a medical professional or tested for COVID-19, such individual is assumed to have COVID-19, and the individual may not return to the campus until the individual has completed the same three-step set of criteria listed above.
- If the individual has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and wants to return to school before completing the above stay at home period, the individual must either (a) obtain a medical professional’s note clearing the individual for return based on an alternative diagnosis (b) obtain an acute infection test at an approved testing location https://tdem.texas.gov/covid-19/ that comes back negative for COVID-19.
Identifying Possible COVID-19 Cases on Campus
- Taylor ISD will immediately separate any student who shows COVID-19 symptoms while at school until they can be picked up by a parent or guardian.
- TISD will clean the areas used by the individual who shows COVID-19 symptoms while at school (student, teacher, or staff) as soon as is feasible.
- Students who report feeling feverish will be given an immediate temperature check to determine if they are symptomatic for COVID-19.
Employees must report to their supervisors if they have had close contact (as defined by TEA Guidelines) with a symptomatic individual or an individual who is lab-confirmed with COVID-19. After review by TISD Health Services, the employee may be required to remain off-campus for the 10 day incubation period.
RESPOND: Practices to Respond to a Lab-Confirmed Case in the School
Required Actions if Individuals with Lab-Confirmed Cases Have Been in a School
- If an individual who has been in a school is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19, TISD will notify its local health department, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, including confidentiality requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- TISD will close off areas that are heavily used by the individual with the lab-confirmed case (student, teacher, or staff) until the non-porous surfaces in those areas can be disinfected, unless more than 7 days have already passed since that person was on campus.
- Consistent with school notification requirements for other communicable diseases, and consistent with legal confidentiality requirements, TISD will notify all teachers, staff, and families of all students in a school if a lab-confirmed COVID-19 case is identified among students, teachers or staff who participate in any on-campus activities.
MITIGATE: Practices to Mitigate the Likelihood of COVID-19 Spread Inside the School
- Students will be encouraged to practice social distancing.
- Students and staff will be instructed on hand washing techniques and scheduled hand-washing times during the school day.
- Instruction will be provided on preventative measures for themselves and others of COVID-19 at school.
- Reception and lobby areas, along with offices will be set for social distancing.
- Water fountains will not be accessible for drinking but rather to fill bottles.
- TISD will institute more frequent cleaning practices for janitorial staff as well as students/teaching staff.